Welcome Back Outdoor

The National Outdoor leagues started back in earnest this weekend with the GCW girls taking on Grange in Aberdeen. The away game saw a tough match in which GCW ran out 1-0 winners.

The game started slowly for GCW who managed to take their own push back all the way back to their left back to allow Grange to get on the front foot. Nothing ensued from this attack and the girls soon began to get in their rhythm The GCW pressing was spot on for most of the first half and forced a well drilled Grange side to give the ball away under pressure several times in the first half. There were early corners which were not really executed well by GCW and allowed the away defence to clear their lines. The pattern of play was well evident for most of the half but 20 minutes in and a lone foray forward by Grange forced a long corner and from this the ball found its way into the circle and then beyond the GCW keeper and despite an effort to recover by Fay Bruce the ball trundled over the line for Grange to take the lead.

Although taken aback by this event GCW just kept going and eventually got an equaliser 7 minutes before half time when Jen Tait forced herself into the circle on the right hand side and fired a shot goalwards.The problem was it was going straight at the keeper, our usual problem. Jess Barr however also was between keeper and striker, she stopped eth ball with her back to goal and spun and shot beyond the keeper to level the match up.

That was the end of the scoring with GCW continually pressing in the second half and the Grange keeper performing extremely well. One such shot saw Eilidh Seedhouse pick the ball up on the 22 yard line go directly into the circle and fire what looked a perfect backhand shot but somehow the keeper just got enough on it to touch it round the post.

Despite late efforts by GCW the game finished 1-1 a solid performance against a top four team that should have resulted in a win on the balance of play but the Grange defence and keeper deserve credit for holding out strongly.

Friday night saw a game for the 3s against Aberdeen Uni 3s. The young GCW side dominated throughout but scoring again proved a bit of an issue with several scrambled clearances by the students. On this occasion however Esther’s charges went 1-0 up ten minutes into the second half when a ball in on the right rebounded out to Elle Clow who took two efforts to sweep the ball home for what was a deserved winner. They were joy to watch as a young side passing the ball well tackling strongly and proving powerful against their older opponents.

Log In or Sign Up

Forgot your password? / Forgot your username?