Glasgow Four All

Saturday was the first of two visits to Glasgow this weekend for some players with a game against Glasgow University for the Ladies 1s to be followed up on Sunday with U18 Cup duty against Uddingston.

The GCW Ladies 1s travelled minus 6 core players to their game on Saturday which was always going to be tough against league leaders Glasgow University who are in fine form just now. The girls however gave a good account of themselves and despite losing 4-0 the game never felt like that kind of game. It was a fast flowing game and the main difference between the two sides was the clinical finishing of the students and a couple of decision errors for the GCW girls. The game was fairly even for the first ten minutes until a ball was crashed in to the GCW circle and a piece of indecisive control allowed the students to pick up the pieces and go ahead.

The GCW girls came back but a shot or two wide was all that they could muster. 25 minutes in and a crucial moment: a ball played inside found Abby Miller trying to pick up the pass behind her whilst moving forward and the resultant slip on a greasy pitch left the Glasgow girls clean through and they made no mistake to capitalise and go 2-0 up at half time. The GCW girls came out strong in the second half and in the first 15 minutes it looked like a comeback was on the cards with Katy Smith and Jess Barr having half chances and Hannah Lawrie and Jen Tait proving constant thorns in the side of the home defence. The students however took advantage of their fortune by gaining a corner and a fine move saw the ball deflected home for a 3-0 lead.

The final phase of the game saw GCW trying to force the game but the students counter attacking. It was from one such event that a hit out from the GCW defence was collected and the resultant quick move found forwards free in the circle to net the students' fourth.

On Sunday the U18s had to travel with 11 as a late illness call off left them “sub free”. With guest coach Nicole Duffin in charge the girls were in no mood to accept anything other than a win. The early phases saw a dominant Biff Ruszka driving forward and feeding Jen Tait and Hannah Lawrie. 8 minutes in and the first goal came. A drive from Hannah Lawrie into the circle saw her move along the baseline to be met by the keeper but somehow Hannah managed to get the ball between the pads. Other chances came and went through the half but a corner right on half time saw the second goal. The initial shot was blocked but fell to Eilidh Seedhouse on the left and she struck the ball on reverse and the keepers touch only made it look more spectacular as it fired home high into the net.

The early phase of the second half saw a little more fight from the Glasgow side but when they were through Ciara Athawes was in no mood to concede anything and brought off two crucial saves to keep the game in GCW's favour. Midway through the half a ball form Captain Watson found Jess Barr high. Jess dribbled from the left across the top of the circle and when all the defence was convinced she would shoot she passed under her shoulder to Hannah Lawrie on the left and when in front of goal Hannah showed her usual composure to net the third. The final goal came from a corner right at the end when a Watson strike was deflected home by Lawrie for her hat trick.

 The 5s on Saturday gained a creditable 3-0 defeat away to Quasar and the team seem to be gelling nicely. On Sunday our Ladies' 2s beat Aberdeen 4-0, while our 3s played well again but were beaten by a more experienced Highland squad. The 4s kept their unbeaten run going with a 1-1 draw despite several newcomers and Aberdeen Uni equalised with the last strike of the game to cancel out a Lara Morris strike for GCW.

Log In or Sign Up

Forgot your password? / Forgot your username?